Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Below you will find questions to fill out as a couple along with guidelines that you will need to read and accept. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Paul O'Brien at email@example.com
A Letter from The Elder Board:
Dear Engaged Couple: We are excited for you and your upcoming wedding. This is one of the most exciting times of your life. You are beginning a life-long commitment. We are glad that Crossroads can be a part of this event.
As Elders, part of our role is to provide oversight to the general operations of the church as well as provide spiritual guidance to those that call Crossroads “home.” In fulfilling both of these roles, we have set down some basic guidelines for having a staff member of Crossroads perform your wedding ceremony. These are listed as follows:
1) Because God has ordained marriage and defined it as the covenant relationship between a man, a woman, and Himself, Crossroads will only recognize marriages between a biological man and biological woman. The staff and leaders of Crossroads shall only participate in weddings between one man and one woman (Gen. 2:18-25).
2) Weddings conducted by Crossroads staff members will be the uniting of two believers. “Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?” (2 Cor. 6:14). This means that a believer should not marry an unbeliever.
3) Prospective married couples will abstain from sexual relations before they are married. If living together, special arrangements will need to be made. Throughout Scripture, sexual relations outside of marriage are forbidden. “Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.” (1 Cor. 6:18). “For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality.” (1 Thess. 4:3). “Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge.” (Heb. 13:4).
4) All couples must attend a marriage workshop or receive Elder approved equivalent marriage counseling. Marriage is to be held in high honor and we want all prospective couples to enter into it understanding the importance of the vows they will be making. God created one man and one woman for a lifetime commitment to each other (Gen. 1:27-28 & 2:24-25).
As your spiritual leaders, we want your wedding day to be very special and significant in your spiritual growth. These guidelines were established based on the Truth of God’s Word and for the purpose of helping the people of Crossroads understand that marriage is an important part of God’s plan for humanity and not something to be taken lightly. Our society has made divorce too easy and too common. We believe a solid, life-long marriage starts before the vows are said.
Blessings, The Elder Board
We have read and accept. * Premarital Counseling
“All couples requesting to be married by a licensed Minister at Crossroads Church must attend premarital counseling.”
Please read the below guidelines for Premarital Counseling
1) The prospective groom and prospective bride must fill out the wedding application. Once approved, the officiating Pastor will either do the premarital counseling himself or ensure the couple is meeting with someone approved to do the counseling. 2) The couple must be willing to participate in at least THREE premarital counseling sessions and ONE wedding planning session prior to the wedding date. The premarital sessions are typically one hour long. The ceremony planning session will be conducted by the officiating Pastor once the premarital counseling is complete. 3) The prospective groom and prospective bride must be in attendance for all premarital counseling sessions and agree to complete their assigned coursework. 4) The couple must agree to not have sexual intimacy of any kind before their wedding. The couple must also agree to not live together prior to the wedding unless approved by the pastoral team for extenuating circumstances (e.g., the couple is living with parents for financial reasons but are not being sexually intimate).